Sunday 2 September 2007

Stanford- at last!

I am sitting in the Stanford computer cluster at 8.30pm writing this, and I have sooo much to write and am too tired/apathetic to write it.
OK.
I got to Stanford at about 2pm today and met up with Sofie and Rhiannon, both from Corpus, who are lovely, and spent much of the (swelteringly hot) afternoon with them in our dorm unpacking and speculating about our fellow Stanfordians, whom we assigned titles such as "captain of the football team", "quarterback" etc from their Freshers Faces-style photos on the dorm wall. Yet none of the Stanfordians are due to arrive at all til tomorrow, so we have not met our roommates or anyone else apart from each other and the teaching assistants, who are crazy and overly happy all the time, but lovely also. The dorm is basically the Flete, but with really attractive architecture, and a piano in the very civilised "JCR" type room downstairs. All of us on the history course are on the same corridor, Flete-style, although we obv have to share rooms which I'm not sure if I like the idea of at all, but yeah. The rooms have bunkbeds (!) and the bottom bunk is so high I have to climb into it, but this is preferable to falling out of the top one. There is also a sink, exciting as I was denied one last year. There are 2 showers that we all have to share. Clearly, I am used to this, but all the others are shocked and affronted.
We went on a trip to discover the campus bike store, as the campus is huuuge and regrettably I will have to get on a bike asap. This was locked so we wandered around, but OMG it is hot here. It's only just got below 20 degrees and it's the nighttime. Weird. We had a meal in their insanely well-equipped hall, which is basically like, an all you can eat buffet. I plan to try Root Beer at some point, but I need to adjust to the culture shock first...!
Soo, summing up: it's weird to be here and hear people talking about the Union and the Bridge, I cant imagine any of these Oxford people at Oxford. It's also so big here that I feel much more disconcerted than I remember feeling when I started at Oxford but maybe that'll pass soon. I can't believe I'm going to be living with Americans for the next 3 weeks; Francie, the TA, told me about "sexiling" wherein your roomate locks you out of your room whilst they have an all night sex session, and omg, I am well freaked out that my roomie will be some Stanfordian whore and I will have to sleep in the corridor. I am looking forward to going to a real frat party, and still confused that their massive library has no books in it because it's an internet library. WHY is it so big?!
Hmmm, this is getting vv long and I'm soo tired so I might go and enjoy my last night of solitary sleep til I leave America. Will post with tales of roommates, lessons and root beer when I can. I miss you all. I really want to ring someone just to check that I havent entered some alternate universe, but you'll all be asleep, so.. damn.
Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you fell out of the top bunk at Marle Hall - goood times.