Friday 7 September 2007

More.

An update.
Today we went swimming in the huge outdoor swimming pool that Stanford just happens to have on campus. It was immense. I am actually in love with everything here. As I have thought many a time, I am currently experiencing the American childhood I never had; watching volleyball games (more on this in a second), cycling in the sun, and swimming in the afternoon. It is nice.
OK, and so yesterday eve we went to a womens' volleyball game. Stanford has a ridiculously hi-tech and amazing hall for volleyball and basketball complete with hotdog sellers, programmes, a big TV on the ceiling and cheesy American commentator. I understand the game now (shock!) and we won, which was exciting. They had cheerleaders. And I was introduced, somewhat awkwardly, to some real American footballers who were literally enormous, for I would not use that word lightly, and nice, but generally terrifying. The biggest of them all was called Brad Bulky. This was his ACTUAL name. Love it.
So it's very chilled here and as you may be able to guess I am loving it. We did another puny 700-word essay yesterday and one thing I have to add that is brill but I dont think I have mentioned yet is that my room has a BALCONY and when you look out of the window it's beautiful and sunny and there are mountains on the horizon.
Oh and last night we had the obligatory "Americans get excited about how English people talk" session which was hilarious. And to add to my cool points, we are playing Ultimate Frisbee in a minute. yay.
Nevertheless, I miss you all. Hope life is good everywhere else. I am going to San Francisco both days this weekend and tomorrow night we are playing a 12-hour night treasure hunt, get jealous, and on Sunday eve we are going to our professors house to swim in his pool. To swim in our tutors pool. Yes that's right. Cool.
Love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harriet, I'm jealous of you right now! I want the American childhood I was deprived of by moving to the UK! I'm amazed they actually have a hotdog stall at the university sports hall, sort of hypocritical but who cares. It sounds like you're having a great time and, I'm glad to see, not working yourself too hard. I look forward to seeing you back in Oxford so I can hear everything.