Saturday 1 September 2007

San Francisco; day 1

I am writing this from the comfort of my hotel (technically it's a "motel".. which is a bit more sinister) in San Francisco, and it is about 8am. Mum is talking to Imogen on the phone and it's mid-afternoon in England apparently, so good afternoon to everyone.

At Terry's behest I'm going to try and write something "interesting", so here we go. The flight yesterday was suuch a nightmare, we were on the plane for 12 hours (an hour of which was sitting on the runway at Heathrow, which I have vowed to never return to, ever.) We arrived in San Fran in the early evening and drove to the city centre where we're staying. First impressions: it's an amazing city. I have to keep reminding myself I'm in America and I feel like I'm in a theme park. The bay is huuge and the whole thing just rises up out of it over the hills, and somehow people manage to park their cars on an almost vertical gradient. All the shops are either vintage, "erotic toys and lotions", or massive Chinese fleamarkets. There is a bigger Asian community here than anywhere in the world outside Asia.
Also, there are huundreds of gay couples walking around, which to a small-town girl such as myself is rather novel, and I have even been on TWO tram rides. We went out last night to find food and got a tram, or, sorry, a "cable car" down one of those ridiculously sloping streets, and ended up talking to a extremely gay middle-aged man who used to live in Brighton. (And now lives in San Francisco. His life is a walking gay cliche!!) But he was very cool and drew us a map of a walk we're going to attempt today, despite the fact that the weather is looking pretty rubbish.

Thoughts: I was so sure that a cable car was an ACTUAL cable car, as in skiing-cable car. It is not; it is a tram, which is actually better. I also only realised how often SF is on film when I got here. It seems so weirdly familiar. Finally, the flavours of soft drinks here are absolutely ridiculous. Last night I bought "Diet Dr Pepper with cherry and vanilla", and also "Diet Coke Plus", which tastes strangely like medicine.

And tonight my MUM wants to go to the gay area. No, no, no, no, no.

I hope that was mildly interesting, I'm still kind of tired so probably not but I'll have more to write about after today. And tomorrow=Stanford, aaaaah!!!
Hope all are well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't say 'motel' without me thinking of Chuck and Rufus... esp. if there ae lots of gay men around. Just watch out for them 'sneaking in and out'. Also this is anonymous I think so you get the added enjoyment of trying to guess who it is, although in this case I fancy it won't be too difficult. xxx

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.