Saturday 22 September 2007

Airport musings

Can't believe how lazy I've been with this. WHEN did I last update? 13th? ok so that was like, over a week ago. Well, I'm at the airport in San Francisco atm waiting on my delayed flight back to the UK, and am using up the last of my $1 bills on the rather extortionate internet access to avoid spending more money on duty free and chocolate (I just spent an interesting while with the very nice lady at the currency exchange who had to count and recount like $100 worth of my $1s, oops.) Am now in possession of 79 pounds and feeling much poorer now I'm back in English mode.

OK so will try and do over a week of updating now. Last Saturday was a real, All-American football game; Stanford vs San Jose State, held at the Stanford Stadium, which for the record is about as big as Wembley, I swear (maybe I do exaggerate but you get my drift.) Stanford has not won at home for Two. Years. And guess what? We won!!!!! 36-0 or thereabouts. It was all very exciting. I felt extremely Stanforded-up in my new hoody, and very much enjoyed the team spirit and jollity. There were cheerleaders, there were marching bands, there were injuries (one guy broke his neck. nice.) and I have an actual photo of myself with a real American footballer, who was massive. After the game we went back to one of the student houses; it was Russian themed (!) - they have Russian, French, German themed houses, it's insane. The Russian one is named Slavdom (!!) and Molly lives there. I did not sleep, and walked back to my new home - the lamely-located Stanford Guest House, an hour and a half walk away - at 7am.

Have spent a surprising amount of time this week working, on a less exciting note. I gave my presentation on American GIs in Britain on Monday, having nearly slept through my alarm and the class, and wrote my final paper for Thursday - 3500 words in 2 1/2 hrs, oh yes. Oxford has taught me at least one useful thing. Have been to San Francisco again, as well as the wonderful mall - actually last night we walked along the Embarcadero under the Bay Bridge at night when it was all lit up and it was loovely. Oh and there was some kind of an actual party too, for Fiona's birthday, and a crazy event in which the uni band runs around campus with their mascot, a large tree. Ok, i know I'm forgetting stuff.. am quite tired/annoyed about imminent 11 hr flight. Sigh.

I will write a concluding blog when I get home. Just want you to know I had the best time ever, and am currently very sad. I want to staaaaaaaaaaaay :(

No comments: